Residents with Vans, Pickups or twin axle trailers will from December 1st 2021 require a permit
Apply now for free van permit at waste and recycling centres
- New free permit being introduced from 1 December for residents who drive vans, pickups or twin-axle trailers to take rubbish to the recycling centres
- Permit scheme will give residents a pass to show at recycling centres, helping to ensure traders cannot use sites to dispose of trade waste illegally
- Recycling rates continue to rise across Greater Manchester, partly due to new measures in place
- Apply online at https://recycleforgreatermanchester.com/vanpermit/
- Note you do not need to apply if you are using a car or vehicle adapted for wheelchair users
NEW Bin collection schedule – from October 2020
Please refer to your Waste and Recycling Collection Calendar 2020 -2022
GREEN BIN collections (for your garden and food waste) every two weeks-same day as your black bin. Collection until 29th March 2021. After 29th March weekly collection to be reinstated.
BLUE BIN collections every two weeks on your normal day
BLACK BIN collections every two weeks on your normal day
BROWN BIN collections every four weeks on your normal day
There are 3 household waste recycling centres in the borough that provide recycling facilities for most materials:
- Adswood Road
- Bredbury Parkway
- Rose Hill, Marple
You can use any of these facilities free of charge for waste and recycling from your home. This includes waste from normal day-to-day household activities and 'do it yourself' (DIY) project
You can dispose of:
- general waste including small bulky items
- garden waste
- wood and timber
- scrap metal
- all types of electrical items
- oil, batteries and gas bottles
- glass, cans and plastic bottles
- light bulbs
For more information you can visit the Recycle for Greater Manchester website
SMBC also provide a borough-wide bulky household waste collection service. This includes furniture and household items which can be collected from your home.
There is a charge for collecting items. The charges are on a sliding scale according to how many items are collected.
They also offer a garden and building bulky household collection. This service is charged by the hour. They can collect a number of items such as rubble, garden waste and sheds that have been taken apart.
Arranging a collection
To arrange a bulky household item collection call 0161 217 6111 (Monday to Thursday from 8:30am to 5pm and Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm).