This section is to provide items of local History/Heritage/Interest to the residents of High Lane.

I am sure the RA and locals with an interest in our history would love to hear if you have any other recollections/anecdotes about the village. 

  Contact me at david@hlra.org.uk  

 

 At our 2019 AGM we were fortunate to have David Kitching as a guest speaker. He gave a presentation on local history of mining, railways and the canal. We did plan to have a walk around some of the sites in Spring 2020 but unfortunately Covid put a stop to this. Hopefully we should be able to re arrange this some time soon.      

                                                                                                   

                            Thanks to David Shore for sending this photo of Norbury Colliery.                                

Norbury Colliery was situated on Norbury Hollow Road. It was a horse shoe shaped shaft, 300 metres deep and three roads led out of it. By 1851 there were 633 inhabitants in the village with half of the men working in the local coal pits.

The colliery closed in 1892, not because the pits were worked out but because Mr Legh of the Lyme estate did not renew the lease to Mr Shaw, the owner.

 

Dog and Partridge

The earliest confirmed fact is that Richard Williamson was the first landlord in 1804, although it is likely that the pub was trading as the Waggon and Horses several years before that date.This was possibly due to most of the trade coming from passing waggoners on the road through the village. Between 1825 and 1850, it was well established as a staging post. It would have been frequented by passengers travelling between Derbyshire and Manchester. At this time, the inn was owned by Thomas Orford, Squire of High Lane and local benefactor.

In December 1858, the inn was sold to William Bagshaw, under the will of Thomas Orford, for £1030. The land appears quite extensive on the deeds map and included a lake to the rear of the pub. Stables and a coach house had been added to the pub by this time and it was newly named The Dog and Partridge.

In addition to providing refreshment to the passing trade, it also laid on parties, teas and suppers for the local High Laners. One was held in 1870 for 80 banks men and carters from Norbury Colliery.

One of the stables behind the pub was used as a mortuary by the police, often occupied by victims of mining, railway or road accidents. It was still in use in 1936.

                    Acknowledgment to Jack Turnbull 'Last Orders Please' and HLVNF                 .

                                                                            

  Thanks to Peter Howard for this photo of his great grandfather, his son Edward and their housekeeper outside the Dog and Partridge. Peter’s great grandfather was the owner – William Aaron Painter - in 1889-1898.

                                      

 

 As a child Peter would visit his Aunty Jane weekly and got to know High Lane well. She lived in the end cottage opposite the park.

 Peter bought a house in the village in 1972 and the ‘Dog’ became a regular haunt!

 There have been various modifications to the building including stables, bay windows and a side extension which has incorporated a well.

 

 Dog and Partridge Today