October 21Minutes


MINUTES OF STEERING GROUP MEETING & ACTIONS – by Zoom – 7th October 2021 8pm

Present: Angie Sequeira, Barry Sequeira, Darrell Williams, David Burks, Hilary Stephenson, Stephen Price,

Apologies: Eryl Hughes, Ian Carpenter, Anne Walker, Councillor Shan Alexander




Towpath maintenance – resumed on 10th September 2021 with next session 8th October 2021, initially confined to catching up with tidying, weeding, etc.



Proposed joint-funded repair of the bench at Broadhurst Bridge with Hawk Green RA – awaiting feedback from Shan to see if they are willing to contribute



Refurbishment of bus shelter opposite the War Memorial – Barry has arranged for Paul Travis to assess the scope of work – meeting to be arranged with Paul and possibly Stuart. Tomlinson Parbans have kindly agreed to provide the timber free of charge if the project is viable




Improvements to public right of way path between 71 & 75 Windlehurst Road – David will continue to liaise with the Walk Ride Group and the landowner but it is now looking unlikely any work will be done before the winter. Access/drop off for materials and method statements also to be agreed. We need to aim for a similar model to the towpath work where HLRA provides labour/materials but under the supervision of a responsible organisation such as SMBC and the Walk Ride Group. Noted there are concerns about the current lack of suitably experienced and able volunteers for this type of work. An appeal for volunteers to be made.




Library planting beds – can proceed now that Ian has agreed siting of new planters for the memorial roses with Jonathan Headlam of Greenspace



Signage/plaques identifying HLRA projects, etc – fixing to be organised due course



Council issues:

a)       Overgrown hedges and verges on A6/Buxton Road – SMBC have acknowledged, but the cutting back is still to be done. (Post meeting note: Angie has written to Cllr Thornley with photographs to illustrate that some road signs are obscured and footpaths difficult/unsafe to use)

b)      Missing bollard at the pedestrian refuge near Alders Green Road/A6 junction – SMBC have acknowledged this but the work has still not been done (only temporary signage put in place)

c)       Library car park fly tipping – resolved, item now closed

d)      Library car park being used for private vehicle sales again – David has reported to Cllr Thornley




Local planning – monthly report has been circulated separately. Follow-ups:

a)       Eryl is to speak to SMBC’s tree officer regarding TPO’s for Hartley Woods and any other trees potentially affected by the proposed Co-op development at the Dog and Partridge site

b)      David to post link to TPO map on the website 


c)       262 Windlehurst Road – (potential implications in relation to green belt encroachment and traffic concerns) Hilary has written to SMBC, still no response






Finance – Barry confirmed the annual accounts for the last two years have been approved by Tom Jackson, scrutineer, ready for the AGM, and will be printed for that meeting.



HLRA AGM 2021 –

a)       Booked for 7pm Thursday 21st October 2021 at High Lane Village Hall

b)      Draft agenda discussed and agreed

c)       David has produced posters and will organise A5 flyers for local shops, etc.

d)      Subscriptions and attendance record to be collected on entry (Barry, Angie and Stephen to agree logistics)

e)      Guest speakers finalised:

  1. Ben Alexander (main speaker) local green energy projects
  2. Richard Jones – brief update on High Lane Village Neighbourhood Plan
  3. Paul Kenneth – U3A (brief intro)
  4. Liz Moon – High Lane WI (brief intro)

f)        Refreshments – Hilary to speak to Peter Stephens

g)       Agreed that attendees will be encouraged to wear face coverings and adhere to Covid protocol







Other items:

Eryl has asked for an agenda item at the next meeting to debate/revisit ideas for alleviating the ever-growing problem of traffic congestion through the village (taken to future meeting in Eryl’s absence)






Next Steering Group Meeting Thursday 4th November 2021 at 8pm (details TBA)