March 22 Minutes



MINUTES OF MEETING 3rd March 2022, 8pm at High Lane Library

Present: Angie Sequeira, Anne Walker, Barry Sequeira, Darrell Williams, David Burks, Eryl Hughes, Helen Richardson, Hilary Stephenson,

Stephen Price (the Executive Committee); Cllr Shan Alexander (part time) and 7 Residents

Apologies: Police Matthew Mayers




The minutes of the last meeting were approved



Malcolm Cairns addressed the meeting on safety concerns on Hartington Road, Manifold Drive and surrounding roads in relation to traffic rat-running, speeding, motorists ignoring signage etc, i.e. problems similar to those also regularly experienced and previously reported in the Meadway/Thornway neighbourhood. Noted that there is no further progress on a date for siting of the council’s mobile speed device in High Lane, police enforcement in the area or community speedwatch (all as previous minutes). Cllr Alexander advised that all 3 councillors are pressing Highways on a pilot scheme for a physical barrier on Hartington Rd and suggested that the relevant SMBC Officer Sue Stephenson be invited to a future HLRA meeting. David to arrange.

Noted that 1, 2 and 5-year impact reports were promised post-opening of A555 but these have not been provided. Cllr Alexander to ask for these to be circulated prior to any meeting with Sue Stephenson.









   Cllr Shan           Alexander


Police: Matthew Mayers was unable to attend but has sent a report to David (published with the agenda). David has been advised of a plan to place probationer officers in High Lane to support the effort with enforcement of speeding control.

Alan James noted that he has not had any contact from the police about this or other updates relating to speedwatch and requested that Matt be asked to keep him informed as a matter of courtesy



Finance: Barry confirmed there had been no transactions in the month.   The account balance remains at £2,858.  

Executive Committee to agree a donation to St Thomas’ Church towards the cost of removing the large fallen tree following the recent storms.



David reported on his recent meeting with Andy Burnham and other group leaders in the village, where the GM Mayor witnessed first-hand the traffic problems on the A6. Other matters discussed include walk/ride improvements and the idea of a bus service link between the village and Hazel Grove Park and Ride. David has followed up with a letter to AB.



Cllr Thornley has advised David that SMBC have no objection to HLRA undertaking improvement projects in the following locations:

a)       Public right of way 202 (Windlehurst Road to Middlewood Way)

b)      Public right of way across Brookside Park

c)       Planter on Windlehurst Road (near No 54)

d)      Neglected strip of land on A6 between the old School House and Middlewood Road (i.e. behind the houses on Middlewoood Road)

Plans for recruiting volunteers to be developed; HLRA would fund materials and consider ideas for sponsorship



HLRA 90th anniversary: the Village Hall has been booked for the weekend of 10th/11th September 2022. Views were noted concerning timing and content and combining the event with marking the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. David to arrange a further planning meeting





Local planning:

a)       Eryl’s monthly report circulated separately, domestic only.

b)      Application to convert the water tank structure on land adjacent 262 Windlehurst Road is to be put before Area Committee on 9 March 2022, Eryl to reinforce our concerns in relation to the setting of a potential precedent for building on Green Belt land.

c)       Dog and Partridge site: Eryl has responded on the application for the Co-Op store on matters concerning tree work, boundary with Hartley Woods, electric charging points, public WC provision and external seating





Community Litter Pick: Barry and Angie have arranged this for 26 March 2022



Other business:

a)       David proposed the purchase of a projector for use at meetings

b)      Darrell was thanked for the very thorough and well-presented draft report on the GM Clean Air Zone, currently being reviewed prior to publication on the HLRA website.



Next Meeting Thursday 7th April 2022 at 8pm High Lane Library