April 22 Minutes



MINUTES OF MEETING 7th April 2022, 8pm

Apologies: Angie Sequeira, Anne Walker, Barry Sequeira, Darrell Williams, Eryl Hughes, Stephen Price;  




The minutes of the last meeting were approved



Finance: Barry reported that there had been no transactions in the month other than book sales at the Surgery for the War Memorial Fund. [£80] The account balance therefore remains at £2,819.



Police matters: Matt and Gary were present at the meeting

A new online reporting system is being rolled out which should make it easier to log reported incidents. Residents were encouraged to report any such incidents as information goes straight to the ops room. Be sure to give the location as High Lane Stockport.

There have been very few incidents in our area for two months but recently Marple Bridge and Compstall have been targeted, mainly shed breaks.

No progress on the Community Speedwatch Scheme – training is going ahead.

Student officers are working in High Lane to check on uninsured vehicles and   cutting through resident only roads. They also increase police presence in the village providing further reassurance for residents.

Updates and advice can be found on GMP Marple and Hazel Grove Facebook page. The GMP newsletter is going to be sent to David so that it can be shared on the RA website.

Matt and Gary were thanked for their time.














Application for funding for Queen’s Jubilee celebration:

Aron Thornley contacted David about applying for a grant from Stockport Homes Community Fund for the Queen’s Jubilee Celebrations.

A grant of £450 has been awarded.

David has confirmed the booking of Hawk Green Brass Band for Sunday 11th September at 2pm.

Aron is planning to hire the Village Hall for an afternoon over the Bank holiday. Tea, coffee and cakes to be served.




Progress on HLRA’s 90th Anniversary Celebration :

Saturday – exhibition of past and present HLRA projects and showcase of village groups. Groups to be invited to set up a stall in the hall.


Musical evening

Sunday – Queen’s Jubilee celebration with afternoon tea and the Brass Band.

It was suggested that this would be better held outside weather permitting and with permission from SMBC. They may require a £500 deposit -David to find out more about this.

Committee discussed profits that could be made from applying for a licence and having a bar at the Saturday evening event. The alternatives are ‘bring your own’ or ask a local pub to run a bar for us.

Hilary, Helen and Angie to lead?






Local planning:

The planning applications listed on Eryl’s report were considered to be domestic.






Volunteers/New projects and progress:

SMBC has given permission for four projects

Improvement to PROW 202 from Windlehurst Road to the Middlewood Way

                               Path from Chatsworth Road to the school in Brookside Park

Maintenance of planters on Windlehurst Road

Grass verge on A6/Middlewood Road

These projects are in addition to existing projects- canal towpath, litter pick, planters and the old High Lane Station.

Volunteers are needed – Active8 was mentioned, parents of Brookside School and those on existing RA projects. A project manager is also required to organise volunteers and materials.

David has asked for volunteers by email to subscribing members and on the RA Facebook page.

David has spoken with Marchington Stone who have supported local projects in the past.










Supporting Church Repair Shop:

Eryl had the idea of starting an RA repair shop. The Church are setting one up so it was decided that the RA could offer support as there would be little point in ‘competing’.




1.Rubbish from A555 to Jackson’s Dairy considered to be a complete eyesore. It appears that the grass verges are not being maintained.

David and Robert have reported it to the council and Aron and Karen Barnes are aware of the situation.

2. Drainage on Windlehurst Road – lack of action from SMBC.

Colin made the point that there only two gulley wagons for the whole of Stockport. There has to be a flooding emergency before a wagon can be assigned.

3. Yellow lines haven’t been reinstated after tarmacking Alderdale Road. Colin to pass this on to Highways Officers. David to report it to SMBC.












Next Meeting Thursday 12th May 2022 at 8pm at High Lane Library